FIRST DRIVE

CONVERSATION PIECE

When it comes to high-performance open-top driving, Audi's all-new five-cylinder turbocharged TT RS Roadster gives you plenty to talk about

WRITER Katie Johnstone

Do people still discuss cars down the pub? I guess they do, but as this is 2017 they also do it in coffee shops, in sushi bars and, of course, on Twitter. While the playing field may have evolved, the rules of the game remain the same. To win, you must bamboozle your opponent with as many technical car facts as possible.

Here's a few for you: 'Friction-reducing plasma-coated cylinder barrels'. 'Lightweight, high-strength hollow-bored crankshaft and connecting rods'. ‘Aluminium pistons with integrated channels for oil cooling'. 'Seven straight wins in the International Engine of the Year 2.0-litre to 2.5-litre category'.

Still with me? I'm glad because – whisper it – spending hours swapping technical details can get just a little bit tedious. However, driving the car this information applies to, the all-new Audi TT RS Roadster, is as far removed from boring as Morris dancing is from the Bolshoi Ballet.

Some critics have been hailing the all-new Audi TT RS Roadster as a miniature version of Audi's R8 V10 Spyder supercar. Peruse its razor-sharp silhouette, its bespoke RS styling features and its ground-hugging stance and you will begin to see the strength of that argument.

Next, make yourself comfortable in the Fine Nappa leather Super Sports seat and adjust the RS Sport multi-function steering wheel. Then press the red starter button, drop the electric hood, head for some good roads – and we're pretty confident you will be won over completely by the all-new TT RS Roadster.

THE ALL-NEW TT RS ROADSTER LETS YOU SAVOUR EVERY NUANCE AND EVERY CAMBER OF EVERY CORNER

AUDI TT RS ROADSTER

On sale now  
Price from £53,550 OTR  
Engine 2.5 TFSI 400PS  
Transmission seven-speed S tronic  
Drivetrain quattro all-wheel drive  
0-62mph 3.9 seconds  
Top speed 155mph (electronically limited),
174mph (with optional package)

Efficiency

34.0mpg combined*,

189g/km C02*

*Standard EU test figure for comparative purposes and may not reflect real driving results. With 19-inch wheels

Do people still discuss cars down the pub? I guess they do, but as this is 2017 they also do it in coffee shops, in sushi bars and, of course, on Twitter. While the playing field may have evolved, the rules of the game remain the same. To win, you must bamboozle your opponent with as many technical car facts as possible.

Here's a few for you: 'Friction-reducing plasma-coated cylinder barrels'. 'Lightweight, high-strength hollow-bored crankshaft and connecting rods'. ‘Aluminium pistons with integrated channels for oil cooling'. 'Seven straight wins in the International Engine of the Year 2.0-litre to 2.5-litre category'.

Still with me? I'm glad because – whisper it – spending hours swapping technical details can get just a little bit tedious. However, driving the car this information applies to, the all-new Audi TT RS Roadster, is as far removed from boring as Morris dancing is from the Bolshoi Ballet.

Some critics have been hailing the all-new Audi TT RS Roadster as a miniature version of Audi's R8 V10 Spyder supercar. Peruse its razor-sharp silhouette, its bespoke RS styling features and its ground-hugging stance and you will begin to see the strength of that argument.

Next, make yourself comfortable in the Fine Nappa leather Super Sports seat and adjust the RS Sport multi-function steering wheel. Then press the red starter button, drop the electric hood, head for some good roads – and we're pretty confident you will be won over completely by the all-new TT RS Roadster.

AUDI SCOOPS FOUR 2017 WHAT CAR AWARDS

Few UK automotive industry endorsements carry as much weight as a What Car? Award, and in January Audi proudly accepted a total of four trophies from the UK's biggest car-buying brand for category wins by the A3 Sportback, A4 Saloon, TT Coupé and Q7. ‘To have no less than four models in particularly demanding categories championed as the very best consumer choices is a momentous start to 2017 for our brand,' said Audi UK Director Cian O'Brien.