FIRST DRIVE

GRACE AND SPACE

The sensuously styled A5 Sportback is the
latest addition to the new A5 range, and blends innovative technology with driving pleasure

WRITER James Clark

PHOTOGRAPHER Andre Silva

I step into the all-new Audi A5 Sportback, settle into the driver’s seat, press my foot on the brake pedal and push the starter button. As the engine comes alive it occurs to me that this second-generation A5 Sportback isn’t just a step on from the original car – it’s a quantum leap. The new A5 Sportback range features numerous interior and exterior styling enhancements, and with a new platform and lightweight design it weighs in at 85kg less than its predecessor.

I’m driving a 2.0 TDI quattro S line model equipped with Audi’s all-wheel-drive technology. With 190PS and 400Nm of pulling power, the four-cylinder turbocharged engine delivers effortless and enthusiastic response

from very low revs. My first impressions are backed up by the figures too – the car can sprint from 0-62mph in 7.4 seconds and reach a top speed of 146mph where legal. And despite such strong performance, this model emits just 121g/km of CO2 and can achieve up to 61.4mpg* combined.

As the engine’s power is distributed to all four wheels via quattro drive, the A5 Sportback always feels safe and secure on the road. On my drive I encounter a slick of wet mud and, fearing the worst, I prepare to correct the car should it skid. But the quattro system reacts instantly, dealing safely and smoothly with the slippery surface and allowing me to carry on unhindered.

As I turn off the twisting country roads and head out onto the motorway, the A5 Sportback immediately transforms itself into a cosseting cruiser. The efficiency-enhancing
S tronic transmission glides imperceptibly between its seven gears, while the suspension soaks up every bump and ripple along the road.

Excellent refinement combines with a spacious, elegantly designed cabin, enabling the A5 Sportback to devour the miles with consummate ease. And with a generous luggage capacity of 480 litres (or 1300 litres with the rear seats folded down), it is the ideal mode of transport on even the longest of long journeys.

As standard this S line model is fitted with a host of technologies to improve comfort, convenience and safety. These include features such as MMI Navigation, Audi drive select, front Sports seats in leather/Alcantara, Pre Sense City braking with multi-collision assist and LED front and rear lights.

So it turns out my hunch about this new A5 Sportback was spot on. Sensuous design? Check. Everyday practicality? Yep. Impressive performance? You bet. The very latest in-car technology and safety features? Absolutely. The all-new A5 Sportback moves the game on in every possible way.

AUDI A5 SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI QUATTRO S LINE

Price £40,490 OTR
Engine 2.0 TDI 190PS
Transmission seven-speed S tronic
Drivetrain quattro all-wheel drive
0-62mph 7.4 seconds
Top speed 146mph
Efficiency 

61.4mpg combined*,

121g/km CO2*

*Standard EU test figure for comparative purposes and may not reflect real driving results. With 18-inch wheels

17%

ACROSS THE RANGE, CO2 EMISSIONS
HAVE BEEN CUT BY 17 PER CENT
COMPARED WITH THE PREVIOUS AUDI A5 SPORTBACK MODEL

<"#">