FIRST DRIVE

BRAINS, BRAWN AND BEAUTY

Audi’s all-new S5 Cabriolet isn’t just a stunning shape and an exciting drive. Both within the cabin and underneath the skin it is equipped with some of the most intelligent technology ever fitted to a car

WRITER Katie Johnstone

31MPH

IT TAKES JUST 15 SECONDS TO RAISE THE S5’S HOOD AND 18 SECONDS TO LOWER IT – AND YOU CAN DO EITHER AT SPEEDS OF UP TO 31MPH

When it comes to making an impression, Audi’s all-new S5 Cabriolet strikes with the speed and accuracy of Cupid’s arrow. With its swept-back lines it exerts a serious pull on the heart strings. And with features such as an ‘S’-specific singleframe grille, ‘S’ series front and rear bumpers, side sill and rear boot spoiler, plus 19-inch alloy wheels with gloss black brake calipers, the S5 also renders its sporting intentions crystal clear.

Inside, beauty is very much in the detail, and not just in the design of the dashboard and the exquisiteness of the controls. It’s also the clever little touches that really move the S5 Cabriolet beyond its predecessor. For example, now, unless you have passengers in the rear seat, you no longer need to keep holding your finger on the electric button to lower or raise the hood. A single quick click does the trick, enabling you to quickly return your hand to the steering wheel.

INTELLIGENCE ON YOUR SIDE

All S5 Cabriolets are equipped with Audi’s Smartphone Interface – which enables you to seamlessly integrate your phone’s features and apps into the car’s MMI system – plus a 36 month trial of Audi Connect Infotainment Services. Our car featured an optional Virtual Cockpit, Audi’s unique digital dashboard. Some time ago Audi enabled its A4, A5 and Q7 to gather traffic data, and now the A5 Cabriolet and S5 Cabriolet are the first Audi cars to benefit from ‘swarm intelligence’, receiving real-time data via a networked server.

AUDI S5 CABRIOLET

Price £51,835 OTR
Engine 3.0 V6 TFSI 354PS
Transmission eight-speed tiptronic
Drivetrain quattro all-wheel drive
0-62mph 5.1 seconds
Top speed 155mph
Efficiency 

36.2mpg combined*,

177g/km CO2*

*Standard EU test figure for comparative purposes and may not reflect real driving results. With 19-inch wheels

10 LOUDSPEAKERS MAKE THE S5’S AUDI SOUND SYSTEM A TREAT FOR EVEN THE MOST DISCERNING AUDIOPHILES

I’m fortunate to be testing the S5 in southern Spain and for a while I meander gently along the coast soaking up the sun. This doesn’t exactly give the car’s gorgeous-sounding, 3.0 V6 petrol turbocharged engine, with its mighty 354PS and 500Nm, much of a workout. But when I tackle the quieter mountain roads, the S5 soon delivers a performance that sets my heart racing.

The ultra-responsive engine shrugs off the steep climbs with ease, while the nimble chassis, equipped with the very latest quattro all-wheel-drive system, utterly masters the hairpin bends. While the S5 Cabriolet deals with challenging roads in a highly efficient, exceptionally safe manner, it never feels clinical. Every turn and every acceleration thrills me with the same powerful impact as the car’s stunning looks.

<"#">